Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Settling down, starting to think

This is going to be a log, not an interesting analysis of anything. So don't read on unless you want to touch base with me, or you miss me so much you have to know every detail of what I have been up to.
This first week has been a time of getting settled, getting over jetlag, trying to find a sleeping pattern that works for me, and forcing myself to get some exercise. The last has resulted in 45 minute-walks for the last three days, which I hope to keep up. Catching up with family and friends. Celebrating Murali's 50th birthday with multiple cakes and lots of live music. And I am revelling in being waited on hand and foot by Ram the cook and driven around by Inder the chauffeur. (I refuse to drive myself in India.)
It was also fun to meet a group of Fulbright teachers who were returning to the US after a 5 week tour of India. A teacher from S. Carolina did say that she had never heard "Georgia" pronounced quite so regally! So my first week of Indian English has not left a mark (yet).
The first of my two writing projects should be getting off the ground as of now, with Dr. Shailendra Gupta. While we respect the historical description of Indian society, and the legal and political influences that have shaped its educational practices, we believe it is not all that teachers need to know, or is relevant to their students' lives. If we are serious about innovation in teacher education, it is time to think about the various strands that make up the society teachers function in and that shape their students.  It is called diversity in educational literature in the US, and I need to find how it is described and designed in India.  
As for my Fulbright-Nehru research study on the Right to Education, I have to keep reminding myself that I am not focusing on the processes and procedures in making the 25% provision a reality. My focus is teachers in high-end schools in the private sector, their attitudes to and views on EWSD students, and what teachers need to do and learn about to effectively teach them.  If the teachers are not willing to admit the EWSD students into their schools and classrooms, chances of their finding ways around this provision are highly likely. If teachers are not prepared to serve the students, the purpose of the Act cannot be achieved. Rigorous conversations with my resident intellectual resources of Usha and Murali, a law researcher and a high court judge respectively, are highlighting the gaping holes in my knowledge about people in poverty in India.  (I need to be careful about grafting my knowledge of the subject in the US context onto the Indian context.) My interactions with experts such as Ms. Sharada Nayak and Dr. Sarada Balagopal over the next couple of weeks should get me started on compiling  a reading list and a list of questions. In the meantime, newspapers are providing me with background information. Any suggestions anyone?

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting settled in. It's so exciting that you have this marvelous opportunity to do important research. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hema, I am so glad to hear you're getting settled into a routine.

    Yes, what is EWSD? I just tried googling it to no avail.

    Look forward to hearing more.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. EWSD - Economically weak and socially disadvantaged

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dr. R here is a name you might try for finding out more about EWSD students Dr. Udit Raj who works with the Dalits. The website I found his name on is http://www.dalitnetwork.org/go?/dfn/about/C189/ my wife's cousin is also a missionary over there working with the Dalits but I can't remember the name of the organization but I can find out for you if you like.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hema
    Good to hear from you. What an exciting topic to work with....on your topic, Wonder if teaching EWSD students is similar to teaching students who are products of psychological disadvantages due to stereotype and prejudice. I also wonder what the needs of the students are to begin with. Do we follow the humanistic theories or the behaviorist?

    Keep us posted... Medha
    Medha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know of a young college student who started to teach kho kho to rural school boys and helped them make it to district state national teams. This motivated them to finish their school education. He has been at it for the past four years and now conducts a state level tournament for rural boys. he is working on such projects now. would you like to have his phone number?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raji, I would love to talk to this person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you consider students with special needs to be in this category, as they could be called socially disadvantaged due to societal prejudice? How do you envision teachers accepting and teaching this segment of students? This is of interest to me, as I am passionate about inclusive education, but have found some resistance to this idea in India... Sounds like very interesting work indeed... Good luck!
    - Padma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Padma, Special needs students do not come into my ambit of study; not that I think it less important but it is not my area of expertise. While they are socially disadvantaged, and regular teachers and schools are not equipped to deal with them, not all of them are of the economically weak sector of society. EWSD students have issues that are qualitatively vastly different from special needs students, socially, cognitively and affectively. Hopefully, creating an inclusive environment will build acceptance of all differences and a willing of educators to work with students of varied needs and abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hema,

    I am excited about your research and look forward to experiencing new ways of knowing as a result of this work.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete