Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Teaching and Learning (T&L): The Arts and the Languages

In April of this year, CBSE, the most influential examination board in India, released a handbook in support of its effort to promote Arts Integrated Learning. An approach after my own heart, it has been in the forefront of my mind.
 One of the underlying requirements  for Arts Integrated Learning to succeed is team work. Subject teachers and Arts teachers (to distinguish between the two, not that the Arts are not subjects, too) will have to communicate with each other. As of now, though they may be on the rolls of the same schools,  these two categories of teachers inhabit two different universes. While Arts teachers may have some experience of how Subject teachers acquired their content knowledge, most Subject teacher have never learnt the Arts formally and may be unaware of the context, condition, content and pedagogical implications of an Arts education. If they don't know where each of them is coming from,  how can they build trust or respect? Understanding how the Arts are learnt by Arts teachers will expand the horizons of pedagogical practices in schools.
This gap in information needs to be filled. To do this, effectively,  as a teacher Educator I need to understand the learning experience of Arts teachers better.
I'm beginning with music.
Why music?
Music is said to be a language that cuts across languages. Sounds like a conundrum but I am sure all of you know what that means. That music is expressive, communicates thoughts and emotions. It is an art, like language, highly personal, and elicits subjective responses. Its grammar 😱 is very complicated which takes years to master. People use musical language with varying levels of expertise in it. And yet it draws people together and builds communities of performers, audiences and administrators.
Also, ‘tis the season of good cheer. And lots and lots of music. It is December and the music season is on in Chennai. For four weeks about 50 sabhas organize about 1500 concerts by over 600 musicians and dancers. So I will be immersed in all things music. South Indian classical Carnatic music. I will listen, listen again and listen some more. I will also haunt the canteens and gorge food that makes my NRI friends sigh nostalgically.
And as I sit in the hall with waves of music washing over me, I think. I think about who the musicians are, where they learn and who from and  their musical lineage. I wonder about how the teachers teach, the context in which they teach, the content, the pedagogy. How is music actually taught? What is the most common pedagogy of music? How does it differ between teaching novices and more advanced students? How much and in what ways do music teachers consider the psychological and developmental profiles of their students? And I think about what this means for education in schools as we know it.
Thinking about all this leads me naturally to write about it. Not with the rigor and social science-y writing I am accustomed to.  But to resurrect my moribund blog. Blog a series of short articles on different articles every three or four days.
The scope of the series will focus on South Indian Carnatic music and novice learners. The topics will range from the contexts of private music class, content, description of learners and pedagogical approaches. Each post will also compare teaching and learning music to English in schools.
Feel free to point out misconceptions, highlight concepts and ideas I have glossed over and add your perspectives and experiences. And feel free to share on social media and with friends. I look forward to moments of clarification and instances of deep learning from this process.

8 comments:

  1. One of the underlying requirements for Arts Integrated Learning to succeed is team work.
    So well said. Schools in India ( I have no experience elsewhere) I think, lack team work. Teachers do not know thus students are not informed of the inter-connectedness of subjects. That to me is crucial in learning which, me think, music fills in the gaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A veteran science teacher was complaining how middle school teachers get confused about picking up ideas from across chapters and not being able to plough through each chapter in turn, refusing to recognise interconnectedness. Perhaps we need to rewrite books to show this, and this is not just thematically presenting ideas

      Delete
    2. Yes Music and Art are nit just subjects rather the stress busters and connectors which can bridge the different subjects and can help weave across subjects. Music on one hand purifies the soul and on the other hand Art makes us e press our emotions... I have always believed that Art, Craft, Music & Sports teachers are the soul of a school who give the feel of the school's ethos...

      Delete
    3. True, but seeing them as stress busters sidelines them, without considering the essential learning value, which you refer to later in your comment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very interesting. Look forward to your blogs.
    I always tell my music students to feel/ visualize the gamakams, phrases, sangatis as they are singing: like riding a boat, going down a slide, notes dancing together holding hands. I tell them it is this music experience/ svanubhava that is reaching out to the audience, probably more than the actual music reaching their ears.
    Wondering if/how this would translate to teaching subjects? Does the math teacher need to focus first on teaching math passion before teaching any equations. To make an extreme point maybe thats all that is needed to ignite that spark in the students to discover and learn by themselves.
    Not that I have had great success in this with my music students. At least I am trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another topic for a post. Will write soon on this. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete